16.8.06

dark silence...

Foiled attempts at saying the unsayable fascinates me. Probably because of the reality of what’s not said. Maybe truth – absolute – is only found in silence. Most of the universe – its bulk, its depth – is dark silence. It follows, then, that what we say, what we do, can only be a portion of the truth, a part of reality.

And as for words – My words aren’t fully equipped, since they're symbolic, to find the truth. They can approach it, but never land there.

Morsel for thinking.

A poem that fully realizes this notion:

The Higher Reaches

        A man had less to say,
and said it better and better.

       ”Soon,” he gloated, "I’ll have
nothing to say, and I’ll say it
perfectly.”

--Bruce Bennett

2 comments:

C. E. Chaffin said...

A great Zen parable. I wish poets would heed it. Too often we think our manure is gold.

beLLe said...

lol...I can relate to this...I sometimes wish the demons would fall into that silence...but would I still be alive???

I love coming here~