14.8.07

music singing to itself...

Frank Stanford

Hidden Water


A girl was in a wheelchair on her porch
And wasps were swarming in the cornice

She had just washed her hair
When she took it down she combed it

She could see
Just like I could

The one star under the rafter
Quivering like a knife in the creek

She was thin
And she made me think

Of music singing to itself
Like someone putting a dulcimer in a case

And walking off with a stranger
To lie down and drink in the dark

*

Some writers have the gift of the devastating image, of lines that the reader can’t escape. Stanford was one of them.

The ending of “Hidden Water” is powerful – a simile that is effective, reminding me of James Wright’s way with image and line.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

a literal "putting away of music" - the saddest sounding one, I might add - to make a different kind of music. I am especially smitten with the line "wasps swarming in the cornice." Just the sound of it...ugh!

sam of the ten thousand things said...

Thanks for reading, Collin & Melissa. I know what you mean about line 2, M.

SarahJane said...

really enjoyed this.
more than most wright, actually.
thanks.

sam of the ten thousand things said...

I appreciate your reading this, Sarah. And congratulations to you for your poem - best in Boxcar Poetry Review. "Hive" got my vote.

SarahJane said...

well, thank you!