29.8.09

of what does not stoop to definition...

Jack Spicer

Improvisations On A Sentence By Poe


"Indefiniteness is an element of the true music."
The grand concord of what
Does not stoop to definition. The seagull
Alone on the pier cawing its head off
Over no fish, no other seagull,
No ocean. As absolutely devoid of meaning
As a French horn.
It is not even an orchestra. Concord
Alone on a pier. The grand concord of what
Does not stoop to definition. No fish
No other seagull, no ocean—the true
Music.

*

I can't imagine these lines being written by anyone but Spicer.

2 comments:

Le Fleurs Du mal said...

I can imagine the poet laureate of Wallflowers(Elizabeth Powers) rather enjoying this work. I must confess, i miss discussing poems such as these within the close knit writing tribe we'd established in second period, and as of yet ive been unable to find anything that fills my aching desire for literary fellowship

sam of the ten thousand things said...

I would think the poet laureate of Wallflowers would enjoy this Spicer poem. In fact, "The grand concord of what / Does not stoop to definition" strikes me as a very Powers-like line. The poem is compact as well - very dense in a good way.

I will say this - writing tribes are a must-have source in life.